Cars damaged, people looking and lights heading your way-the scene right after an automobile accident is hectic and overwhelming, to say the least. Whether you reacted out of fear, emotion or something else, leaving the scene of a personal injury accident in Milltown, NJ is never a good idea. NJSA 39:4-129 covers this area of law and the 8 points and $500+ fines attached to this offense should alert drivers to just how seriously New Jersey takes this crime. In addition to heavy fines and high points, a driver will also face suspension and potential jail time depending on the circumstances of the accident and individual driving history.
Often referred to as a hit and run, here’s a deeper look at the penalties attached to this offense:
- Fines: Fines up to $5,000 depending on the circumstances of the accident.
- Points: Eight points are automatically assigned to your driving record following a conviction.
- Jail: Individuals convicted of a hit and run can face 180 days in jail. Yes, that’s half the calendar year.
- License Suspension: A drivers’ license suspension of up to one year is an option many judges choose to apply in these cases-something that can wreak havoc on your personal and professional life.
- Community Service: In addition to more traditional forms of punishment, some type of community service requirement is common as well.
- Insurance: When you are convicted of leaving the scene of a personal injury accident in Milltown, you can almost guarantee that you will be hearing from your insurance company. Whether they drop you complete or triple your rates, this just serves to make this already expensive conviction even more so for years to come.
There are viable defenses to this serious charge. For instance, in order for the state to convict you they need to show that you knowingly left the scene of the accident. The state also has to show that you were involved in the accident in the first place. In many instances, a hit and run charge accompanies other serious charges such as a DUI. Working with an experienced hit and run attorney is your best bet for fighting the charges against you. Get in touch with the Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt today.
The Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt
Regardless of why you find yourself accused of a hit and run accident in Milltown, you will want to give the Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt immediately. Working with the Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt can actually save you time and money in the long run. With over two decades of experience as a New Jersey attorney, Thomas knows how to get results. At the Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt, I am here to help. Your first consultation with me is always free, so pick up the phone today! I look forward to speaking with you!