DWI In A School Zone
Not only are schools a place where education is a priority but safety is too. With that in mind, it is no surprise that the state of New Jersey attaches stiffer penalties to those individuals who are guilty of a DWI when it occurs in a school zone. Working with an experienced New Jersey DWI/DUI attorney can help you fight these potentially devastating charges against you.
N.J.S.A 39:4-50(g) outlines the penalties attached to this specific type of DWI, which include:
- Fines: Fines begin at $500 and increase depending on whether there are multiple DWI convictions or if there was damage or injuries as a result of the DWI. In addition to the upfront fines attached to a DWI, individuals will also have to pay annual surcharges to the state.
- Jail: A first-time DWI in a school zone can lead up to sixty days in jail, even if he or she had a clean record before the conviction. A third-time DWI conviction carries a 180-day jail sentence.
- License suspension: DWI offenders will find their licenses suspended for one to two years and that number increases drastically with a second and third offense.
- Community service: A second DWI conviction usually results in 60 days of community service in a New Jersey school zone.
- Additional penalties: Major increase in your insurance coverage, mandatory participation in an alcohol or drug class, ignition interlock device [IID] installation, $3,000 NJMVC surcharges and NJMVC restoration fees are just some of the additional penalties individuals face following a DWI conviction.
As you can see from the penalties listed above, New Jersey takes school zone DWI’s very seriously. When this offense also includes a refusal to submit to a chemical or breath test, the normal penalties attached to a refusal are also enhanced. However, just because you are charged with a DWI in a school zone does not mean you will be convicted of one. There are many viable defenses to a DUI charge depending on the specifics of your case, including: issues with the reliability of any breath or chemical tests administered and lack of reasonable cause for the initial stop. Give the Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt, LLC, a call today to discuss your case further.
Call Me Today!
A DWI in a New Jersey school zone is a very serious charge that has major consequences if you are found guilty. With over 25 years of experience, I have successfully had DWI cases dismissed or reduced and will fight hard to get you the results you want. If you are dealing with a DWI/DUI in a school zone, give me a call today. I am available seven days a week, and your initial consultation is always free of charge. Time is of the essence in cases like these, pick up the phone today! I look forward to speaking with you!