Being found at fault for a fatal car accident is a devastating event. In addition to dealing with your own injuries and damages, a tragic event like this also carries with it various fines and penalties. In the state of New Jersey, you will receive a notice of a pending license suspension if you are found to be at fault in a fatal car accident. This punishment is in addition to any other fines and penalties you may have to pay.
Like all the other reasons you can get your license suspended for, the New Jersey MVC will send you a notice in the mail of a pending license suspension, letting you know the following details: the reason for your suspension, the date your suspension is scheduled to being and the duration of your suspension. Do not ignore this notice as you have a chance to request a hearing before the New Jersey MVC and contest your suspension. Here’s what you need to know about the process:
- Your license suspension is in addition to other legal issues you may be facing related to your fatal car accident
- You have a limited amount of time to request a hearing to fight your suspension, and the New Jersey MVC is very specific in regard to the manner and time frame for this request. Hearings are not automatically granted; rather, they are something you have to actively pursue. If you ignore this option, your suspension will occur on the date listed on the notice
- At your hearing, you will be able to present evidence of the impact losing your ability to drive (and for many people, get to and from work) will have on your life and make arguments for why the suspension should not happen
- Working with an experienced attorney can help get you the results you want
- It is possible to delay a suspension, reduce a suspension and even eliminate a suspension entirely
There is a lot happening following a fatal car accident; do not let this emotional time overwhelm you and take away your ability to drive. Get in touch with me today to discuss your options.
Contact The Law Offices Of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt, LLC
At the Law Offices of Thomas Carroll Blauvelt, LLC, I know how frustrating a pending suspension can be. If you are currently facing a license suspension following a fatal car accident, pick up the phone and give me a call today to talk about your options.
At your initial free consultation, I will explain the process to you and what I can do to try to keep you on the road and fight your pending suspension. I have worked on many cases just like yours and know the best arguments to present at your hearing. I look forward to hearing from you soon!